Sunday, July 8, 2012

Optimism for Beginners

Feel the joy of the perky morning people.

Optimism (noun)- the expectation that perhaps the worst will not happen, understanding that Murphy is a name not a law, the belief that good things happen, hopefulness

I will not sell why you should try on optimism.  I will merely offer a suggestion of how to try on optimism if you so choose.

Here's the game plan:

Fake it 'til you make it.  In all situations working with others or yourself, there are 3 go-to phrases. I highly recommend you memorise them or write them on the back of your hand for reference. I once wrote them down and folded them up to put in the front pocket of a high school student's uniform shirt.

If things go well, say this out loud (aloud?) to someone or yourself:

1. Good job.





If things aren't going particularly well, say:

2. That's a shame. Let's try again.





If things have gone quite badly:

3. Ah well, at least nobody died. Let's try again.






If someone has died, this blog post might not be for you.

So to recap the positivity phrases:


1. Good job.
2. That's a shame. Let's try again.
3. Ah well, at least nobody died. Let's try it again.


Say one.  Say all three.  I don't care if you're lying.  Say it anyway.  Commit to trying on optimism for 30 days. It might change how you feel or think.  It should foster positive working relationships.

Some people use cynicism and criticism to demonstrate their intelligence.  I do not. I am not dumb. I am an optimist. I chose to be an optimist. Sometimes, it takes a bit of effort. Eventually, I want to train up my optimism military boot camp style to aspire to Henry Rollins':


Welcome to the team!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or no??