Thursday, June 20, 2013

RMC: Reluctant Mothers Club

Motherhood has been the single most challenging, self-altering, life-hijacking metamorphosis of my life.   I'm not saying it hasn't been worth it. It has. It is.  I am saying to the people who sell motherhood from conception as a joyful life of blue skies and a cure all for sad days to shove it.  You are not doing anyone any favours.  Let's get real, folks.

1.  Pregnancy isn't that much fun!

The Glow. I actually had a colleague tell me I was blossoming. I had my boss tell me that I looked incredibly peaceful and relaxed.  People are full of shit.  I have felt hungover for 6 and a half weeks.  Not even MacDonald's helps.  (Though, these did.) And I keep not being able to do the things I want to do (ie. eat raw salmon, play roller derby, see friends, drink a large glass of sav. on a Friday). Anything after 8pm is a bust.  Annoying.

As a friend of mine said recently, "It's hard to connect with something that makes you feel tired and ill, right?" 

After being a super independent kind of person, being hijacked by a fig-size human was a rude limitation on my life. MY life. (Of course, now I'm pretty happy to have created one of my favourite human beings to hang out with and force her to do things I like to do with me.)

Then the biological sexism kicks in.  Me and my partner are having a kid.  His life didn't seem to change at all at first.  My job, boobs, exercise, sleep patterns, cheese habits, morning coffees, friendships, clothing, favourite foods and ability to not cry during bad movies all changed.

A woman becomes a mother when she becomes pregnant. A man becomes a father when he first holds his child.


The Upside:
Pregnancy, I found, was like a really long, strict training schedule. It's tiring, uncomfortable, it is so so so long but it changed how I felt about my body for the better. Healthier.  Look at what it can do! Look at what it made!

2.  Child birth. Nuff said.

The most natural thing a woman can do...Really?! It wasn't for me.  And when the tie comes for me to do it again, I'm going to do whatever is in my power to get ALL THE DRUGS ready for my arrival next time. (I'd love the woman from Hyperbole and a Half to illustrate that for me.)

The Upside:
It's only a day.  Or two. Seriously not worth stressing about.

3. Feeding your baby is a fulltime job that doesn't pay very well.

Sitting on your ass for hours and hours a day.  Get some boxset dvds. And a bottle of water.  If you're breastfeeding, this means you literally have a being suckling at your body (YOUR body) for hours a day. Breast or bottle, your arms will get tired.

The Upside:
I kept a human being alive. That's pretty cool.

4. As it turns out, not every mother is really a baby person.

Cute but that doesn't fill a day
I wasn't.  This shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did.  I like conversation.  Babies don't talk much.  I like sleep. Babies don't respect adult sleep patterns much.

The Upside:
Babies aren't babies for long. Babies turn into interesting, bossy little two year olds with opinions about food, what they should wear and the weather. And while they are babies, you can pretty much strap them in/on and go anywhere.



5. Hormones + Being put in charge of a human life + Forever = Stressful


Emotional wrecked.  I, before my first pregnancy, prided myself on being a rational and intelligent being (I have since managed to reclaim some but not all of this former sense).  The following quote pretty much sums it up:

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~Elizabeth Stone

The Upside:
If my heart is walking around, then I am EVERYWHERE!  I always wanted to be everywhere!  This new vulnerability means I'm also a much less judgemental, less selfish, less restless person.  Peaceful, even?? Well, maybe for a moment after the kids are in bed.

5. Change is hard.

Pregnancy, babies and children are a moveable feast.  Anytime I feel I've nailed a routine or understand a phase...there's it goes.

The Upside:
Life is a moveable feast. Better to have more guests at the table.

x


Photo by Thomas



2 comments:

  1. Love these words. Nicely crafted and very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Well put! And thanks for quoting me!
    Also, Thomas is a fantastic photographer. x

    ReplyDelete

Agree or no??