Sunday, May 6, 2012

Top Tip #4: Chill the Fuck Out

When I was living in London, I used this as a mantra:



If you could hear my brain as I was pounding my red Nine Wests up the cobbles streets of London Town, you would have heard a breathless and sometimes aggressive voice repeating: Chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out,chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck out, chill the fuck...

London is not an easy place to live. It is a fun place to live, it is a rewarding place to live, it is an exciting place to live but London is not easy.

Late for the tube? Chill the fuck out. 17 quid for an Oyster Card? Chill the fuck out.  3 hour commute? Chill the fuck out. Broke? Chill the fuck out. Crowds of people overwhelming in TopShop? Chill the fuck out.  Random guy shoving me across the pavement on Oxford St? Chill the fuck out.  Hate my job and enraged at  the snotty little criminals I called my students? Chill the fuck out.  Strange man rubbing himself against me on the tube? Chill the fuck up (and elbow him hard).

CTFO became my zen armour for the chaos of the Centre of the Universe.

Why should you just CTFO? Especially when these are valid, upsetting events?

'Cause worrying will probably just make you feel worse about a shitty situation, it doesn't start to fix it and makes you feel like being an asshole. And that's not good for anyone involved.

 So when all else fails, take a deep breath. And you are welcome to borrow my personalised serenity prayer.






3 comments:

  1. Agree! 90% of the time, chilling the fuck out is all one needs to do and stuff will take care of itself. Stressing about things comes at great personal cost and having the energy sucked from you by an internal vortex of anxiety surely causes wrinkles. (The other 10% of the time you're dealing with a jerk who really does need an elbowing).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be the best thing I've read on the web ALL MONTH. I employ this mantra incessantly when I travel, or am lost, or while setting up IKEA furniture.

    Everything will get done in time. And everything will be okay. Chill out.

    I'll just have to start adding the "eff" in there. You know. Just for a little verbal color. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verbal colour is a joy in the mind's eye! As a person who is passionate about words and literature, I think profanity has a very useful purpose sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Agree or no??